digital communications intern
Title Digital Communications Intern
Role Internship (Paid)
Hours 19 hours per week
Working arrangement Remote until our offices reopen
We are looking for a Digital Communications Intern to join us! Reporting to the Associate Director of Development, the Digital Communications Intern will help develop and disseminate compelling stories about TBC through digital media to invite participation, increase engagement, and expand understanding around the organization and its work. This position will focus on strengthening and maintaining TBC’s social media presence, assisting with ongoing digital communications such as the monthly newsletter, and support on special projects.
TBC’s mission is to unlock opportunity and change the odds for Youth of Color (YOC) in Boston. Our vision is to build a more equitable Boston through helping young people of color (YOC), and the adults who work with them, heal from the traumatic impact of systemic racism. We believe that Boston’s future cannot be changed without programmatic interventions that promote healing through the integration of three Community Practices deemed essential for effective youth programming and organizational development: Trauma Inclusion, Restorative Justice, and Racial Equity. The integration of these practices forms the basis for both our direct service and systems change programming.
Our youth development programs: Trinity Education for Excellence Program, Sole Train: Boston Runs Together, and Trinity@McCormack middle school program serve 1000 young people, most of whom are YOC. To truly change the odds, the communities in which our youth live, learn, and develop must also change. It is not enough to help young people navigate oppressive environments, we strive to help change the schools, institutions, and organizations within which our programs operate so that they can be more supportive and nurturing.
As a learning and teaching organization, we develop and share best practices centered on these three Community Practices with other youth-serving organizations through our Organizational Equity Practice and Trinity Boston Counseling Center. Through these two programs we provide clinical services to youth workers, training, coaching, and consulting offerings to Boston’s youth-serving organizations to promote the development of racially equitable organizations. By further promoting community-building and collaboration, we amplify our voice and effect enduring change in the systems and organizations that impact an additional 15,000 young people, particularly YOC.
TBC has a staff of 30 who are committed to their personal, and the organization’s collective, racial equity journey. We hold ourselves accountable through intentional racial equity awareness learning and practical implementation in all that we do. TBC has an annual budget of $3 million+ comprising grants from foundations and corporations (35%); charitable contributions from individuals and events (35%); and other sources of revenue and earned income (30%). TBC is governed by a diverse 24-member Board of Directors who are also committed to their racial equity journeys. Generous volunteers give their time as mentors and ambassadors in the community.
• Assist in the development and execution of social media strategies in alignment with program needs and organizational goals
• Post about TBC events and programs on all relevant platforms regularly
• Support staff around digital media solutions related to TBC programs
• Create and update organizational content calendar with proposed schedule for daily / weekly social media posts, e-newsletters and solicitations, and other relevant content
• Assist with producing and distributing monthly TBC e-newsletter and other email communications
• Contribute to digital photography collection, scanning and refining images
• Video and photo archive retrieval as needed
• Contribute to written copy for Annual Report publication
• Maintain knowledge of current and emerging technologies and trends in social media development and optimization
• Collaborate with teammates on other tasks as needed
Key Qualities and Abilities
• Passion for racial equity work and TBC’s mission
• Self-starter with the ability to:
• work virtually
• manage multiple tasks and set priorities in dynamic environment
• meet deadlines and work within a team environment
• adapt to unforeseen challenges
• Strong customer service orientation
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Down-to-earth and personable, able to develop strong relationships with people from a wide range of backgrounds
Qualifications and Education
• Bachelor’s degree or higher (in progress or completed)
• Excellent written and oral communications skills
• Knowledge and expertise with social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn
• Basic graphic design skills
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice with the ability to talk about systemic racism and oppression within the context of TBC’s mission
• Knowledge of-or-willingness to learn about social emotional learning skills and community practices of racial equity, restorative justice and trauma-informed care
• Strong organizational skills
The ideal person for this internship non-exempt position has superb interpersonal and organizational skills, sense of humor, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced team environment. Attention to detail, flexibility and reliability are crucial to success.
Desired Technical Skills
• Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Experience with Canva or another free online graphic design platform.
• Basic or intermediate understanding of Adobe Creative Cloud applications (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.) a plus but not required
• Experience with WordPress or another content management system a plus but not required
• Working knowledge of Constant Contact and/or Mailchimp
• Basic understanding of Dropbox, Box, Microsoft One Drive, and other cloud applications
Send a thoughtful cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and will conclude the search when we find a successful candidate.
Trinity Boston Connects is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We strongly encourage applications from a wide range of backgrounds
© 2021 Trinity Boston Connects, Inc. | All Rights Reserved